Wednesday, July 29, 2009

MY TRIP TO EGYPT 2008 - By Mike Bailey I stepped off the plane and walked into a building. There was a long line of people in the hall each with a sign with the person's name on it that they were there to meet. I walked along slowly reading each name on the signs. Finally toward the end of the line I saw a sign with my name on it. I stopped and raised my finger. We shook hands and he said his name was Mohammed and asked for my passport and 15$US. I gave this to him and he left to get the Egyptian Seal put in my passport. But first he took me to the line to wait in while my passport was being processed. When I got to the front of the line I had to fill out a little questionnaire stating who I was and what my business was in coming to this country. I put down that I was a tourist.

When this was finished the tour agent led me out to a waiting car and we drove an hour to the hotel I would be staying in for the next two nights. The atmosphere was dark and there was a metalic feel in the air. The driver and the tour agent spoke quietly to each other in their own language in the front seat. They didn't pay much attention to me. This was just another routine day at the job. This is what they did day after day, month after month, year after year. I was just another client. There was little traffic out at this time of night and we were driving briskly along on mostly freeways and turnpikes for most of the way so there wasn't much to see, just dark city buildings, mosques, and apartment buildings on one side of the freeway and a cement wall on the other side. The street lights projected a golden glow on the streets. It was hot and gritty like the sand that stood in the air was mixed with petroleum.

THE SWISS INN
After the long ride through the city we got to the place where I was going to stay. The Swiss Inn is a very nice hotel. Once I checked in I got into my room and took a shower and went straight to bed. It was 2:30 AM and I had to get up at six.

The next morning I woke up well before six. The phone rang. I picked up the reciever and a voice speaking in Spanish was telling me it was time to get up. "Ok, I'm up" I said and hung up the phone. It felt strange waking up in a Muslim country so far away from home and all alone. I knew what to expect: drivers and guides would come at the appointed times and take me to all the places that I would be going. It was exciting that I was there in that far away land of Egypt. I had looked forward to this trip with great expectation and anticipation at the prospect of seeing some of the greatest landmarks and historical places of the Earth. Places that I have dreamed of going to all of my life. There was something different about this trip. I felt alone. I had nobody to talk to.. except God. He's always there. I had nobody that I could see and share this experience with. Someone to discuss things with and share in the excitement. I had traveled to India alone in 2006, and had traveled to China, Russia and Mongolia in 2000. I traveled alone with no problem, but this time was different. I felt alone. I made up my mind, the next time I travel I want to take someone with me.

My room was in a building behnd that main part of the hotel and it was a short walk to the main lobby. I got dressed and went outside. It was still misty. There was sand literally standing in the air. I found out that while you are sleeping you are inhaling this sand filled air. I woke up in the morning and started hacking up sand in the back of my throat and spitting it out. Breakfast started at 6:30. Here is what I had;
little hot dogs
scrambled eggs
potatoes
bread
stuffed baked tomatoes
coffee

On this trip I am trying to eat substantial meals because I feel that I need this food for energy. Long before I decided to come on this trip I had started walking five miles about every three or four weeks. At first I had to stop and rest every couple of blocks, but after awhile as I got more in shape I could walk the whole way only resting a couple times. Also I brought alot of vitimins which I planned to take faithfully everyday. This would help me keep up my energy.

After breakfast I went to the lobby and waited for the guide to show up. He was supposed to be there at 7:30. The weather was a little warm. I noticed while walking over to the building where they serve breakfast that there are pesky little flies around. They don't just nonchalantly buzz around you. They attack straight off with all their might and dive bomb you repeatedly and you find yourself swatting at them just a furiously as they are attacking.

The guide and driver finally came in a van. I got in and we proceeded toward the road to the tune of crickets chirping in the grass in the early morning mist...of sand. The guide introduced himself as Mohamed. We were on our way to pick up three women from the east coast of the United States and then a young couple from Canada. After we picked up everyone I expressed to Mohamed my desire to go inside the Great Pyramid and into the King's Chamber. He in turn asked everyone else if they all wanted to do that. They all said they did, so instead of going to the Cairo Museum first as was planned, the driver made a U-turn and we were off to the pyramids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home